Thank you for your lovely comments on my first vintage hair tutorial, Victory’s Speedy Vintage Hair Tutorial #1. For this second one I thought I would demonstrate a speedy, easy to achieve pin-up style. This look is pretty and not particularly extreme, with a slight flip in the hair at the front, rather than full victory rolls, making it particularly good for beginners or those in a hurry. (This style also looks magnificent with full rolls, for those with more time/experience.) In this version, the hair styling shapes your face while the flower is the focal point. I keep a little basket of hair flowers in different colours for these styles. In warm weather, I tend to use a tropical flower. In winter, I use one or more roses. As I often say, when things get tough, or I haven’t had enough sleep, a hair flower brightens my day.
This pin-up style takes roughly 20 minutes in 1 x 15 minute block + 1 x 5 minute block of time. For the first 15 minutes you curl your hair. The last 5 minutes is for styling. You’ll need to let your hair cool between. If you don’t need to curl your hair you can achieve this style in under 5 minutes, though the glamorous wave of the hair is key for this look, so I wouldn’t recommend skipping that step.
I have illustrated the 6 steps to this style through images, though you will need to read the text for more detail. All photographs are by Berndt Sellheim.
Here are 6 things you will need:
- Hot rollers, hair sticks or a curling iron. Today I am using my hot roller set, pictured below. I do have an unusual amount of hair and it is very thick. Experiment with what works best for you.
- A rat tailed comb. Metal or plastic works fine.
- Bobby pins similar to your hair colour.
- A hair spray setting lotion and/or pomade of your preference, to hold your curls to your liking. (As you can see, my Lindy Charm School Essential Setting Lotion is nearly out.)
- A hair slide comb accessory.
- A medium to large hair flower accessory of your choice.
I hope you enjoy trying out this style. I look forward to your feedback and any requests.